Healthcare providers have long recognized that interdisciplinary collaboration is essential in the healthcare system to achieve quality care of individuals and groups in communities. The Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators (AONN+) prides itself as an organization that exemplifies successful collaboration between the leadership team and its members, as well as the larger cancer care community.
AONN+ has many collaborative initiatives which aim to help advance the professional development of oncology navigators and cancer care professionals in general:
- AONN+ has a growing list of Local Navigator Networks (LNNs), which are a great way for members to connect with area navigators, share experiences and best practices, and improve patient outcomes.
- In collaboration with health system partners such as Sarah Cannon, ACCC, LBBC, MCA, Ulman, and National Navigation Roundtable, AONN+ offers webinars and a library of training and educational videos that AONN+ members have exclusive access to.
- Hosted by AONN+ leaders with panelists from various organizations, the monthly Facebook Live series on the AONN+ Facebook page focuses on topics that are of interest to oncology professionals. This series proves to be a unique platform to address current issues in real time, and to connect the community with AONN+ leadership.
- AONN+ maintains a navigation toolkit resource where industry partners and organizations periodically share resources to assist nurse navigators and patient navigators in the management of patient care.
- The AONN+ Heart and Soul of Oncology Navigation podcast releases a new episode each month featuring AONN+ members and highlighting community stories from the front lines, best practices, lessons learned throughout their navigator career, resources, and support services.
- The AONN+ Committees work together to nurture partnerships with organizations in the clinical and oncology arenas. The committees also provide a platform for AONN+ members to contribute to national initiatives that impact the oncology profession.
- For AONN+ members who conduct research and need feedback from the navigator community, AONN+ has a “Navigation Projects” service that helps distribute their surveys to thousands of nurse navigators, patient navigators, social workers, and administrators in the AONN+ network.
AONN+ also collaborates with global industry leaders to advance research and knowledge in the oncology field.
With contributions from AONN+ leaders, Team-Based Oncology Care: The Pivotal Role of Oncology Navigation stresses the importance of a collaborative approach among the multidisciplinary care team. Edited by AONN+ Co-Founder Lillie D. Shockney, the book is designed to educate and support anyone developing a new navigation program or wanting to improve one they have created.
Currently, AONN+ is working with multiple projects with leading pharmaceutical companies such as Takeda, Astellas, Pfizer, Pharmacyclics, Janssen, Exelixis, Amgen, and more.
Collaboration is essential among the multidisciplinary care team in order to achieve quality care. At AONN+, we collaborate with the larger cancer care community to ensure every voice is heard and every member of the healthcare team is equipped with the best tools, resources, and support.
By joining the Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators (AONN+), you will receive access to useful professional resources and networking tools. Please visit the Membership section for a full list of member benefits.
Show us what being a member of AONN+ means to you!
Click here to download the I am AONN+ printout.
- Take a photo with the printout
- Post it on your social media profile
- Tag us and use #IAmAONN