An oncology navigator’s role in tumor boards has always been a gray area, but more challenges arose during the COVID-19 pandemic. In latest episode of the Heart and Soul of Oncology Navigation podcast, AONN+ Technology & Innovation Committee members Cindy Barnard, RN, BSN, OCN, CBCN, Senior Clinical Oncology Domain Expert at Roche Information Systems, and Zilipah Cruz, MSN-RN, Director for Corporate Oncology Navigation at Ballad Health, reviewed the barriers of tumor boards, additional difficulties as these case conferences went virtual, and forecasted the future of these meetings.
Here are the top 3 takeaways:
- There is question as to whether the responsibilities of case conferences/tumor boards lay with oncology navigators or cancer registry. These difficulties were amplified during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For those navigators who do run tumor boards, their goals have changed dramatically in the pandemic. Navigators had to turn into IT experts for any virtual platform they were using. This quick pivot to virtual technology shows the quick-thinking and flexibility in the skills of a navigator.
- Digital health services have been brought to the forefront of care during the pandemic, speeding up the process of implementation. Moving forward, navigators should ask themselves whether hosting case conferences virtually has changed the level of care to determine if they should continue this method in the future.
To learn more about the Heart and Soul of Oncology Navigation podcast and to view our series schedule,
please visit our podcasts page.
Stay tuned for the next episode: Geriatric Oncology
Wednesday, August 25, 2021, at 7:00 PM EDT
Thank you to our sponsor, Genentech, for making this podcast episode possible.
- Navigation and the Role in Tumor Board
- Best Practices: Engaging Primary Care Physicians and Specialists in Multidisciplinary Opinions and Tumor Board Conferences virtually
- Virtual Tumor Boards – Cancer Does Not Stop for COVID-19
- A Virtual Tumor Board (VTB) is a team of specialists from the world’s largest cancer research centers
- Virtual Molecular Tumor Boards
- Digital Tumor Board Solutions Have Significant Impact on Case Preparation
- The Impact of a Digital Solution on Tumor Board Preparation Time for Nurse Navigators
- Impact of a Digital Solution on Case Preparation and Discussion for Breast Multidisciplinary Tumor Board
- A New Software Platform to Improve Multidisciplinary Tumor Board Workflows and User Satisfaction: A Pilot Study