In this episode, we share the inspirational stories of 2 previous nominees of the CONQUER: the patient voice Hero of Hope™ Patient Award. Monica Dean, Director of Patient Navigation Program Development at AONN+ hosts this episode, joined by:
- Sharon Frances, breast cancer survivor and Co-Founder of Well Beings Studio
- Melinda Bachini, who was diagnosed with stage IV cholangiocarcinoma and now serves as the Director of Advocacy at the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation.
In partnership with CONQUER magazine, AONN+ annually recognizes an individual for this award, which is given to someone whose life is touched by cancer, and for his or her outstanding contributions to the cancer community.
Here are the top 3 takeaways:
- Sharon Frances wanted to work with families who were impacted by cancer, like her own family. She began by writing a children’s book and then created an art workshop to go along with it. Art helped Sharon process what was happening with her cancer. She has donated over 2500 copies of her book and has worked with hundreds of families through her workshop. The Hero of Hope Patient Award nomination made her feel seen and validated during her cancer treatment.
- Melinda Bachini found her love for patient advocacy after participating in a widely published clinical trial for cholangiocarcinoma. She began volunteering and serving as a patient advocate in order to bring the patient’s voice to the table, leading her to become the Director of Advocacy at the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation.
- The recipient of the Hero of Hope Patient Award receives a $1000 donation made to his or her chosen charity, a plaque, a feature in CONQUER: the patient voice magazine, and registration to the AONN+ Annual Conference. Do you know someone who has made an impact in the cancer community? Nominate Them Today!
To learn more about the Heart and Soul of Oncology Navigation podcast and to view our series schedule,
please visit our podcasts page.
Stay tuned for the next episode: Trends in Innovation & Technology
Wednesday, July 28, 2021, at 7:00 PM EDT
Thank you to our sponsor, Genentech, for making this podcast episode possible.
- Pocketful of Poems with the Children’s Hour
- UnShaming Cancer with the UnShaming Podcast