Each week in our series Navigate Now: How Can We Help? we focus a single topic of interest to the Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators (AONN+) community as we grapple with the coronavirus pandemic. We feature members of our leadership team, along with outstanding presenters, whose paths intersect with the work of AONN+. We invite you, our members, to join in the interactive discussions, ask questions, and voice your concerns.
If you missed it live, you can still catch up! No Facebook account necessary.
As we near the end of our weekly sessions, we are happy to share the news that we will offer a monthly Navigate Now: How Can We Help? Facebook Live series beginning on July 8th. We hope you will join us for what is sure to be an informative and inspiring series of discussions.
Here is just a small sampling of some of the highlights from the conversations we have been having.
Top 10 Takeaways from Navigate Now: How Can We Help?
10) Getting adjusted to working remotely was challenging because of the compressed timeframe and high demands.
9) Not being able to hug patients has been among the hardest things oncology navigators have faced.
8) Oncology navigators really miss the one-to-one contact with patients.
7) Telehealth has emerged as an important platform, especially for patients with compromised immune systems.
6) Oncology navigators are a highly adaptable group!
5) Technology has been invaluable to help remove barriers, both expected and unexpected, and some new applications (Facebook, Zoom, FaceTime, Teams) have been indispensable.
4) Oncology navigators have been crucial resources in helping to educate patients and community about COVID-19, and decrease fear and dispel rumors and myths.
3) Over 77 percent of oncology navigators surveyed at the 2020 AONN+ Virtual Midyear Conference experienced compassion fatigue.
2) There is “no going back” to traditional delivery of care after experiencing the huge demand in telehealth.
1) You are not alone! AONN+ is a community of caring and compassionate individuals who are here for you.