The Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators (AONN+) Awards grant prestigious recognition to oncology navigators, researchers, employers, and individuals for their contributions to better patient care and their professions.
The AONN+ Leadership Council is delighted to present the Awards categories.
Lillie D. Shockney Lifetime Achievement Award
The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes an AONN+ member for his or her career achievements and outstanding contributions to cancer care, and exemplifies the mission and vision of AONN+.
AONN+ Evidence into Practice Award
The Evidence into Practice Award recognizes an AONN+ member who has conducted evidence-based research that builds on the body of work in oncology navigation.
AONN+ Organizational Recognition Award
The Organizational Recognition Award acknowledges the employers who recognize and support oncology navigation.
AONN+ Oncology Navigation Excellence Award
The ONE Award recognizes an oncology navigator for his or her outstanding contributions to oncology navigation, patient care, or education.
Hero of Hope™ Patient Award
The Hero of Hope™ Patient Award annually recognizes an individual whose life is touched by cancer for his or her outstanding contributions to the cancer community.
AONN+ Ambassador Award
The Ambassador Award is granted to an AONN+ member whose exceptional leadership and devoted service includes sharing the Academy’s mission, vision, and core values with oncology patients, their families, and professional communities.
AONN+ Outstanding Local Navigator Network Award
The AONN+ Outstanding Local Navigator Network Award is given to a Local Navigator Network (LNN) that has exemplified outstanding effort in establishing a setting to facilitate communication and education among peers, with the goal of improving patient outcomes.
The recipient of the AONN+ Outstanding Local Navigator Network Award receives a plaque, an acknowledgement in the Journal of Oncology Navigation & Survivorship (JONS), and a sponsored dinner with speaker for one (1) LNN meeting.
2018 AONN+ Award Winners
Lifetime Achievement Award
Recognition of an AONN+ member who has made an outstanding contribution to the field of Oncology Navigation and to the Academy. This awardee exemplifies the mission and vision of AONN+.
Lillie Shockney, RN, B.S., MAS, ONN-CG
University Distinguished Service Professor of Breast Cancer
Professor of Surgery , Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Co-Developer, Work Stride- Managing Cancer at Work
Johns Hopkins Healthcare Solutions
Outstanding Local Navigator Network Award
Recognizing a Local Navigator Network’s exceptional work in establishment of an open forum for professional development and networking that aligns with the AONN+’s national mission.
Virginia Cancer Patient Navigator Network
- Meets a minimum of 50% of active AONN+ members
- Meets all requirements for LNN ( quarterly meetings, submission of meeting reports and annual report)
- Aligns with national AONN+ mission and vision
- Demonstrates active engagement with local community and industry partners
This award recognizes exceptional leadership and devoted service sharing the AONN+ mission to oncology patients & families & professional communities.
Pamela Goetz, BA, OPN-CG
Oncology Survivorship Navigator
Center for Patient and Family Services
Sibley Memorial Hospital, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- AONN+ Leadership Council since 2013– ensuring the voice of the patient navigator is represented within the association
- Leadership on AONN+ National Committees: EIP, Newsletter and AQUIRE
- Several Publications in the Journal of Oncology Navigation and Survivorship and CONQUER
- 2018 - facilitated 2 webinars focused on abstract submission and presentation
- Development of first of kind AONN+ National Pre-Conference Workshop to offer mentorship and support to attendees focused on “Demystifying the Research Process: Workshop for Patient Navigators, Social Workers, and Administrators”
Putting Evidence Into Practice Award
This award recognizes the contributions of an AONN+ member who has conducted and promoted evidence-based research, which has augmented the field of oncology navigation.
Linda Burhansstipanov, MSPH, DrPH
Founder, Native American Cancer Research Corporation
President, Native American Cancer Initiatives, Inc
- Actively involved with her population health and wellness endeavors nationwide – currently is the principal investigator and subcontractor for 5 NIH grants
- Serves on numerous national and local advisory boards and committees to promote research and programmatic efforts to assist Native People in obtaining higher levels of health.
- Founder and president of the Native American Cancer Research Corporation
- 100 peer-reviewed publications, of which most address Native American cancer, public health and data issues.
- Member of the National Institutes of Health national advisory council on Minority Health and Health Disparities
Organizational Recognition Award
This award acknowledges employers who embrace the critical role of oncology navigators and foster their growth.
Miami Cancer Institute
Oncology Navigator Excellence Award
The AONN+ Oncology Navigation Excellence, or ONE Award, recognizes an oncology navigator for his or her outstanding contributions to oncology navigation, patient care, or education.
Ashley Marks, RN, BSN, CHPN, CBCN
Gynecologic Oncology Nurse Navigator, Woman’s Hospital
Hero of Hope Patient Award
In partnership with CONQUER: the patient voice® magazine, the Hero of Hope Patient Award annually recognizes an individual whose life is touched by cancer for his or her outstanding contributions to the cancer community.
Co-Founder of OurBrainBank nonprofit organization and OurBrainBank app