AONN+ is proud to offer 3 unique certifications: Oncology Nurse Navigator–Certified Generalist™ (ONN-CG™), Oncology Patient Navigator–Certified Generalist™ (OPN-CG™), and Oncology Nurse Navigator–Certified Generalist Thoracic™ [ONN‑CG(T)™].
What Is AONN+ Certification?
AONN+ created these professional certifications in response to the increasing demands of its membership to have a specific type of certification to distinguish the knowledge, skills, and experience of an Oncology Nurse Navigator (ONN) from that of other types of nursing certifications provided by others organizations, including the Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) designation by the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS). Hence, the AONN+ Certification Task Force was born.
Made up of experienced leaders within the field of navigation, the AONN+ Certification Task Force Chairs developed the educational criteria and curriculum for each certification exam. AONN+ established the ONN-CG™ and ONN-CG(T)™ programs, as well as the OPN-CG™ program in collaboration with The George Washington University Cancer Center.
Important Certification Exam Reminders:
- You must attend a conference to be able to sit for the AONN+ certification exams.
- All conference attendees are eligible for a free 1-year membership. Upon conference registration, you will receive an e-mail containing your free membership code. Nonmembers must redeem their free membership to access the modules and learning guides required to prepare for the exam.
- You must register for the certification exam separately after you have registered for the conference.
- All certification exam applicants will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the AONN+ Certification Task Force and will be notified if they qualify to take the exam.
For more information, please visit our Certification FAQ.
Why Should I Get My AONN+ Certification?
AONN+ certification is unique to the field of navigation. The establishment of baseline competencies for oncology navigators, centered on their roles, responsibilities, educational level of knowledge, and evidence-based best practices, will help to ensure consistent delivery of optimized patient care across the care continuum. Your AONN+ certification will provide you with specific credentials and knowledge that can help you improve patient care and further your career development.
With your AONN+ certification, you gain:
- Knowledge and expertise derived from a navigation-specific formalized testing curriculum and process
- Patient treatment optimization with increased awareness of care options
- Opportunities for career enhancement with prospective promotions and financial incentives
- Recognition and respect from industry organizations, institutional leadership, peers, and patients as an integral member of the multidisciplinary oncology team
To date, more than 300 AONN+ members from more than 130 institutions and 9 advocacy groups across the nation have earned the ONN-CG™, OPN-CG™, and ONN-CG(T)™ certifications. Listed below is a representation of the institutions and advocacy groups that support and recognize AONN+ certification.
- Johns Hopkins
- Baylor University Medical Center
- City of Hope
- George Washington University
- Sara Cannon/HCA
- Midwest Cancer Alliance
- Greenville Health System
- Memorial Hermann
- Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Sutter Health
- UC Davis Medical Center
- University of Alabama
- University of Mississippi Medical Center Cancer Institute
- University of Vermont
- University of Irvine
- University of Texas Medical Branch
- San Francisco Department of Health
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer Navigators, Inc.
- National Marrow Donor/Be the Match
- Susan G. Komen
- Native American Cancer Research Corporation
- Blue Prints of Hope
The AONN+ Certification Task Force Chairs are working diligently to obtain National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accreditation for the ONN-CG™ and OPN-CG™ certification exams. AONN+ certifications will be retroactively recognized upon NCCA accreditation approval.
To read more about the NCCA accreditation process, please click here.